The Mercat de Sant Josep de la Boqueria, often simply referred to as La Boqueria, is a large public market in the Ciudad Vieja district of Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain, and is one of the city’s foremost tourist landmarks.
Since 1836 La Boqueria has been the beating heart of the city and every day, more than 200 traders roll up their blinds, ready to offer the a huge choice of local and international gastronomic products.
The first mention of the Boqueria market of Barcelona dates from 1217, when tables were installed near the old door of the city to sell meat. From December 1470, a market selling pigs occurred at this site. At this time, the Market had the name Mercat Bornet or was (until 1794) simply known as Mercat de la Palla (Straw Market).
In its early days, the market was not enclosed and did not have an official statute, it was regarded as a simple extension of the market of Plaça Nova which then extended to the Plaça del Pi.
Later on, the authorities decided to construct a separate market on La Rambla, housing mainly fishmongers and butchers. It was not until 1826 that the market was legally recognised.
Construction began March 19,1840 under the direction of architect Mas Vilà. The market officially opened the same year, but the plans for the building were modified many times. The official inauguration of the structure was finally made in 1853. In 1911, the new fish market was opened and, in 1914, the metal roof that still exists today was constructed.
We had an absolutely fantastic time in La Boqueria and even purchased some tasty treats at very reasonable prices. After all, this is also where the locals shop!
Visit the official website of La Boqueria market to plan your visit here: Boqueria Market Barcelona.